Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Year Preview

The New Year is upon us and most people have done look backs over the last year. Most of the great gaming experiences from 2011 are carrying over to 2012. I love to put hours into my games and it doesn't stop when the year ends. And while those are great, I want to look to the this year. 2012 has some great game coming out all throughout the year. We know all of this even before this year started. I can't wait for all the new games.

One of the first games for me to get this year is going to be SSX. The over the top gameplay is back and it looks better than ever. The fun that seemed to be lost in the last version of the game seems to be back, but keeps the open ended nature of it. As long as I can have a game that is as good and as fun as SSX: Tricky I would be happy. The biggest new feature I'm looking forward to is actually the wing suit. It looks to add a bit of depth to the racing aspect of the game and just looks cool.

Next on the list is Mass Effect 3. Do I care about the newly added multiplayer features? Not really. Will I play it if my friends want to give it a spin? Sure. Am I really just in it for the great gameplay and engrossing story? I sure as hell am! I really had no problem with Mass Effect 2... Only that it ended. Not that it ended badly, just that it had to end. I know if ME2 didn't end, we would not be talking about ME3 right now. It doesn't really matter anyway. ME3 will be amazing and probably one of the best single player experiences this year.

Me and the Rainbow Six franchise have a love-hate relationship. I love the games, but I just hate that the games are always so slowly paced. Although the new game does not look to change the pace of the gameplay, the addition of a morals system may throw the game on its side. Actual consequences to actions done in game can form a compelling story with many branching paths. As long as it is done correctly, I can really get behind this game.

Bioshock: Infinite looks to be a grand reimagining of the Bioshock universe. We see the new extreme, being on a floating city high above the ground. A new graphics engine and AI system really make the game a notable contender. The zipline mechanic looks interesting and fun at the same time. The only problem is that Bioshock 2 was slightly disappointing. I hope that this can renew my faith in Take-Two.

My favorite game from a couple years back was Borderlands. I can still play it because of the engaging gameplay and hopes of epic loot. With the addition of a great new class, Gunzerker, and a more flushed out story, I can certainly wait for this new game to come out. This game will likely be one of my new favorites when it releases later this year.

There are other titles such as Halo 4 on my radar, but these are the ones that really stand out in my mind for the new year so far. I look forward to more announcements in the new year. Let's hope this year is as good as last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment