Saturday, November 12, 2011

Modern Warfare 3 and Why I'm Not Getting it.

As the year winds down, another Call of Duty game comes out. This time it is part of the acclaimed Modern Warfare series. That makes the game very desirable for many people and very tempting for me, even if I can't really dedicate a lot of time or money to it. I would love to get it for just the single player, but that's not going to happen. There are a few reasons why I won't be getting it this year, and I will tell you why.

I would be lying if I said Battlefield 3 wasn't one of the big reasons as to why I'm not getting MW3. I prefer the style of gameplay that BF3 offers. Running a Rush game with a squad of your friends really sells the teamwork aspect of a game like this. If you run around lone wolf COD style, then be prepared to die... A LOT. While the single player aspect may still be lacking compared to COD, lets all be honest with ourselves and agree that we wouldn't be buying these games if we were only interested in the single player campaign. The large maps and team based gameplay just appeal to me as a gamer. This isn’t about Battlefield though, this is about the lack of memorable multiplayer fun for me. I think COD has run it’s course for me.

To go back to the topic of the campaign, I enjoyed the first MW. The second one was ok, but I do have to say that I just played it because no one was online from my friends to play with. In this day and age, a single player experience takes a backseat to multiplayer in a game like this. If I want a good single player experience, I'll just go play Mass Effect. With a single player in the 5 - 7 hour range, I can’t bring myself to buy it just for the campaign. Why spend the money on this when I can get say... Batman: Arkham Asylum, and get 40 hours of single player? Or even better yet, Skyrim with hundreds of hours of gameplay potential?

My last point is that I, in all honesty, don't want the yearly retread of games to ruin every game out there. While I did enjoy the COD gameplay for a while, even with all the changes it just feels stale. Black Ops really sealed the deal for me. It was quite a bit different from the previous iterations, it did just feel like the same game. I don't want to play something completely different every year, but I also don't want to pay $60 every year for what amounts to Madden with guns. I can really just skip every other year of COD to get something enjoyable.

Does this mean I hate MW3? Not at all. Does it mean I don't want to play it? Not in the least. Does it mean I will skip it this year? Yes it does. Will you still see me playing great games? Of course it does. The bottom line is that while I do think that MW3 is still a game, and force, to be reckoned with, I will not add to the sales numbers myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment